'Dark Knight Rises' Shooting Victims File Lawsuits Against Movie Theater
Three wounded victims of "The Dark Knight Rises" tragic mass shooting believe Century 16 Theater holds responsibility for what happened on Friday, July 20. They launch two federal lawsuits against the movie theater for security negligence and seek at least $750,000 in damages each.
Denise Traynom, Brandon Axelrod and Joshua Nowlan accuse the cineplex of having no security guard for the midnight showing. They also claim there's no alarm on the emergency door where the gunman, James Holmes, is believed sneaking out and returning back inside the room with guns.
"Any person who wished to make a surreptitious and unauthorized entry into the theater could easily determine that the lack of security personnel and lack of any alarm on the door at the right, front by the screen of (the) auditorium would allow them to leave the theater, and re-enter without fear of being discovered, interfered with, monitored or stopped," they say in the suits as quoted by The Denver Post.
12 moviegoers were killed and 58 others were injured in the tragedy taking place in the theater at the Aurora Town Center Mall. The culprit, Holmes, was slapped with 24 murder charges and 116 counts of attempted murder. He's also staring down one count of possession of explosives.
The theater has been closed since the shooting, but it's planned to be reopened in early 2013. Both Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan and Cinemark president and CEO Tim Warner have expressed their excitement for the reopening.
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns