Missy Elliott Premieres New Songs '9th Inning' and 'Triple Threat'
Making her comeback after years of hiatus, Missy Elliott finally releases not just one but two new singles. Along with her frequent collaborator Timbaland, Missy drops "9th Inning" and "Triple Threat" via UStream on Monday, September 17.
"9th Inning" boasts sounds of flickering piano and braying horns. "Every time I spit a rhyme it's a sick flow/ You newcomers better take note," so Missy raps in the song. Menwhile, "Triple Threat" is more club-oriented with billowing synths. She spits, "Triple threat: rap, dance and I'm a singer."
Upon debuting the new tracks, Missy said, "This my first Ustream, so I don't even know how it works." She added, "We basically coming to switch music again. We've been doing this for over two decades and people wonder what took us so long, and I felt like, too, we needed to refresh our brains. And either come correct, or don't come at all."
Commenting on the theme of the new songs, meanwhile, Timbo told Hot97, "The music game is in a bad state, so we're in the 9th inning like World War 2 and we have to come in and try to salvage what's left of it."
Missy will release her latest studio set "Block Party" later this year. It will mark her first full-length album since 2005's "The Cookbook". "9th Inning" and "Triple Threat" will be available on iTunes Tuesday, September 18.
More Missy Elliott News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival