NBC Justifies Decision to Skip 9/11 Moment and Air Kris Jenner Interview on 'Today'
NBC has come under fire for skipping the 9/11 moment of silence to air an interview with Kris Jenner on "Today". Defending the decision, a spokesperson for the network says in a statement, "The 'Today' show dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage this morning throughout the entire show."
"Today" indeed inserted an extensive 9/11 coverage throughout the morning. It featured an interview with a World Trade Center survivor earlier in the episode and a segment talking about memories of the event.
However, when other broadcast networks namely ABC and CBS cut their programs to air live coverage of the memorial led by President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama in Washington D.C., and the NYPD, FDNY and Port Authority Police in New York City, "Today" chose to show Savannah Guthrie interviewing the Kardashian matriarch. The host asked the reality TV star about televised breast augmentation, the "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" finale, and Kim Kardashian's relationship with Kanye West.
Still, NBC pointed out that it aired the moment of silence during its West Coast broadcast. The network's local affiliate WNBC-4, moreover, cut the "Today" show to air its self-produced special coverage to commemorate the victims of the 9/11 attack.
More Today News
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3
- Louis Tomlinson and Bebe Rexha Announce New Collab 'Back to You'
- Meek Mill and His Crew Caught Jumping and Attacking Nicki Minaj's Ex Safaree
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy