NBC Justifies Decision to Skip 9/11 Moment and Air Kris Jenner Interview on 'Today'
NBC has come under fire for skipping the 9/11 moment of silence to air an interview with Kris Jenner on "Today". Defending the decision, a spokesperson for the network says in a statement, "The 'Today' show dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage this morning throughout the entire show."
"Today" indeed inserted an extensive 9/11 coverage throughout the morning. It featured an interview with a World Trade Center survivor earlier in the episode and a segment talking about memories of the event.
However, when other broadcast networks namely ABC and CBS cut their programs to air live coverage of the memorial led by President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama in Washington D.C., and the NYPD, FDNY and Port Authority Police in New York City, "Today" chose to show Savannah Guthrie interviewing the Kardashian matriarch. The host asked the reality TV star about televised breast augmentation, the "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" finale, and Kim Kardashian's relationship with Kanye West.
Still, NBC pointed out that it aired the moment of silence during its West Coast broadcast. The network's local affiliate WNBC-4, moreover, cut the "Today" show to air its self-produced special coverage to commemorate the victims of the 9/11 attack.
More Today News
- Mariah Carey Sizzles in Racy Latex Outfit While Reuniting With Nick Cannon for Halloween Party
- 'The Walking Dead' Reveals Negan's Victim(s) With Brutal Twist
- 'Boo! A Madea Halloween' Tops Domestic Box Office, 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Rules Overseas
- Drake Announces 'More Life' Project, Previews 4 New Songs
- Ryan Gosling Could've Starred on 'Gilmore Girls'
- Are They Dating? John Mayer Spotted Getting Close to Demi Lovato While Hanging Out in LA
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom Reach Divorce Settlement
- Justin Bieber Throws His Mic and Walks Off Stage After Getting Booed in Manchester