NBC Justifies Decision to Skip 9/11 Moment and Air Kris Jenner Interview on 'Today'
NBC has come under fire for skipping the 9/11 moment of silence to air an interview with Kris Jenner on "Today". Defending the decision, a spokesperson for the network says in a statement, "The 'Today' show dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage this morning throughout the entire show."
"Today" indeed inserted an extensive 9/11 coverage throughout the morning. It featured an interview with a World Trade Center survivor earlier in the episode and a segment talking about memories of the event.
However, when other broadcast networks namely ABC and CBS cut their programs to air live coverage of the memorial led by President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama in Washington D.C., and the NYPD, FDNY and Port Authority Police in New York City, "Today" chose to show Savannah Guthrie interviewing the Kardashian matriarch. The host asked the reality TV star about televised breast augmentation, the "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" finale, and Kim Kardashian's relationship with Kanye West.
Still, NBC pointed out that it aired the moment of silence during its West Coast broadcast. The network's local affiliate WNBC-4, moreover, cut the "Today" show to air its self-produced special coverage to commemorate the victims of the 9/11 attack.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story