Joss Whedon Reveals 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Will Have 'Very Twisted Take'
While details of Marvel's upcoming project "Guardians of the Galaxy" are still scarce, Joss Whedon opened up that he believed director James Gunn would do a great job with the space heroes film. Giving some updates on the anticipated project, the New York filmmaker, who also serves as a creative adviser on Marvel's upcoming slate of films, said that Gunn has planned some twists on the plotline.
Whedon revealed to MTV News that Gunn "has barely started" working on the "Guardians" script. Still, he noted, "He has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. It's going to be hard for the humans to keep up. I know he's going to come from left field and I'm going to go 'What?' And then, 'Of course, why didn't I think of that?' And then I'm going to beat him!"
Of why he trusted Gunn as the right man to helm "Guardians", Whedon said, "James is what makes me think it will work." He gushed, "I myself was sort of like, 'Well, I liked Rocket Raccoon as a kid, but I'm not sure how that plays [to a wider audience]'."
"And then they said, 'Well, we're thinking about using James Gunn.' And I said, 'Oh, then no, you're fine.' He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart. He loves the raccoon. Needs the raccoon."
"This is the guy who wrote 'The Special'. People don't understand how influential that movie was about heroes, about taking heroes and making them mundane" the director of "The Avengers" continued. "And [he directed] 'Super'."
"Guardians of the Galaxy" is a far-future story revolving around a group of alien beings - each the last of their kind - who eventually travel back in time to protect the earth from alien invasion. The script is written by Black List scribe Chris McCoy, while the film itself is set to arrive in the U.S. on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Lea Michele Cuddles With Late Boyfriend Cory Monteith in Heartbreaking Throwback Photo
- 'The Walking Dead' Producers Didn't Tone Down the Violence Despite Previous Claim
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Zoolander 2' Lead 2017 Razzie Award Nominations
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Her Killer Curves in New Puma Campaign
- Darren Criss Will Play Villain in 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Musical Crossover
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' First On-Set Photo Unearthed
- 'Jurassic World 2' Casts 'The Detour' Star Daniella Pineda in Key Role
- Fox News Dumps Controversial Contributor Stacey Dash