Artist of the Week: Cher Lloyd
First gaining attention when she competed on British "The X Factor", Cher Lloyd has a promising future although she didn't win the reality singing series. After finishing fourth in the final, she nabbed a recording deal with Simon Cowell's Syco Music and started working on her debut album.
Though her songs "Swagger Jagger" and "With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) have been embraced by her U.K. fans since 2011, it wasn't until 2012 that she made a breakthrough in the U.S. with "Want U Back". Set as the lead single of the album "Sticks + Stones" which will be released in October Stateside, the track peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard Digital Songs.
The track entered the top 10 of another songs chart, placing seventh on the iTunes chart. Following her U.S. television debut on "America's Got Talent" results show in July, the song climbed to No. 4 on the chart and has sold over 1 million copies in the U.S. so far.
Amid her successful career, Lloyd has apparently been a victim of cyber-bullying. "It is about time now that I let people realize that I am a real person," she said when opening up about her fear for her safety in February this year, "and if I can do it, with all these people that want a piece of me, then other victims can speak out as well. There have been many times when I have cried myself to sleep."
As a reminiscence to her lighter youthful days, she recently released a new track "Oath" whose lyrics mention some things like making fun of her BFF for being lazy and crashing "your dad's new car." Featuring young raptress Becky G, the song is not listed in her debut album, but is expected to make the cut on the deluxe version.
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist