Usher Faces Lawsuit for Allegedly Stealing Materials for 'Caught Up'
Amid his custody battle against Tameka Foster, Usher is facing another lawsuit. Along with Arista Records and the producers of his hit single "Caught Up", the R&B singer is currently facing a copyright infringement suit against a group of songwriters.
Per AllHipHop, Usher was accused of stealing the original material of "Caught Up" from songwriters Zacharia L. Edwards, Mitch Moses and Vince McLean. The three filed the lawsuit on September 7 in United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
According to the lawsuit, in October 2001, the trio met Michael Barackman who was the senior director of A&R at Arista Records. They claimed to have played the music for Barackman, who at that time wanted to show the song to L.A. Reid and Mark Pitts, who were looking for material for Usher's new album.
When Usher's album "Confessions" was released in 2004, the trio noted that there were substantial similarities to the original version of "Caught Up". Moses and McLean said that they tried to reach the label's representatives, but they were reportedly threatened with being "black balled from the music industry."
"An ordinary lay observer could listen to the two musical compositions at issue, and given the theme, melody, hook, lyrics and chorus, reasonably find that the two songs are substantially similar and that and a friend and infringement has occurred," the lawsuit claimed, as quoted by AllHipHop.
Edwards, Moses and McLean sought an undetermined amount of damages from this case. On the other hand, representatives for Usher and Artista Records have yet to release official statements regarding the lawsuit.
More Usher News
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!