Usher Faces Lawsuit for Allegedly Stealing Materials for 'Caught Up'
Amid his custody battle against Tameka Foster, Usher is facing another lawsuit. Along with Arista Records and the producers of his hit single "Caught Up", the R&B singer is currently facing a copyright infringement suit against a group of songwriters.
Per AllHipHop, Usher was accused of stealing the original material of "Caught Up" from songwriters Zacharia L. Edwards, Mitch Moses and Vince McLean. The three filed the lawsuit on September 7 in United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
According to the lawsuit, in October 2001, the trio met Michael Barackman who was the senior director of A&R at Arista Records. They claimed to have played the music for Barackman, who at that time wanted to show the song to L.A. Reid and Mark Pitts, who were looking for material for Usher's new album.
When Usher's album "Confessions" was released in 2004, the trio noted that there were substantial similarities to the original version of "Caught Up". Moses and McLean said that they tried to reach the label's representatives, but they were reportedly threatened with being "black balled from the music industry."
"An ordinary lay observer could listen to the two musical compositions at issue, and given the theme, melody, hook, lyrics and chorus, reasonably find that the two songs are substantially similar and that and a friend and infringement has occurred," the lawsuit claimed, as quoted by AllHipHop.
Edwards, Moses and McLean sought an undetermined amount of damages from this case. On the other hand, representatives for Usher and Artista Records have yet to release official statements regarding the lawsuit.
More Usher News
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber
- Chanel Iman Stars in Flo Rida's Flashy Video for 'Zillionaire'