'The Possession' Stays Atop Box Office on Lowest Weekend in Years
"The Possession" stays atop the North American box office during the lowest weekend in years. This week, none of the movies on the chart could even surpass the $10 million mark. As a defending champion, the Ole Bornedal-directed horror film only grabs an estimated $9.5 million for a total cume of $33.3 million.
The top 12 movies on box office this weekend take in only $51.9 million, which is the worst top 12 total gross since September 5-7, 2008 when Nicolas Cage's "Bangkok Dangerous" led the chart with just $7.7 million. At that time, the top 12 movies only collected $50.3 million.
Furthermore, this weekend also marks the worst cumulative ticket sales in more than a decade. The lowest ticket sales took place on September 21-23, 2001 or two weekends after the 9/11 taragedy. At that time, Mariah Carey's "Glitter" was the only new release in theaters.
John Hillcoat's "Lawless" secures the runner-up spot with around $6 million. It bags a total cume of $23.5 million after two weeks of playing in cinemas Stateside. On the other hand, Bradley Cooper's "The Words" has a slow opening by landing on third place with approximately $5 million.
The fourth and fifth spots are claimed by "The Expendables 2" and "The Bourne Legacy" respectively. The star-studded actioner collects an estimated $4.7 million for a total gross of $75.4 million, while the special agent film takes in around $4 million for a total cume of $103.7 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 7-9:
- "The Possession" - $9.5 million
- "Lawless" - $6 million
- "The Words" - $5 million
- "The Expendables 2" - $4.7 million
- "The Bourne Legacy" - $4 million
- "ParaNorman" - $3.8 million
- "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" - $3.6 million
- "The Campaign" - $3.5 million
- "The Dark Knight Rises" - $3.2 million
- "2016: Obama's America" - $3.2 million
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story