Joaquin Phoenix Thinks About Sex During Interview in New 'The Master' Clip
Joaquin Phoenix is prominently featured in a new NSFW clip of "The Master". The actor playing Freddie Quell in the highly-praised drama by Paul Thomas Anderson is seen having what seems to be a Navy psychological examination. He is asked to describe what he sees in several pictures handed out to him. Every time he sees an image, he always refers it to sexually related things such as female genital.
In the drama, Freddie is described as a protege of a charismatic intellectual named Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman). Set in America in the years following World War II, Lancaster launches a faith-based organization and taps young drifter Freddie as his right-hand man. But as the faith begins to gain a fervent following, the onetime vagabond finds himself questioning the belief system he has embraced, and his mentor.
Director P.T. Anderson recently admitted that "The Master" was inspired by the Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Still, he stressed that the movie is not solely about Scientology as some people might have thought, but it focuses more on Freddie and Lancaster's relationship. "The narrative is just driven by these two guys, and their love for each other," the director said at the Venice Film Festival.
"I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about Scientology, particularly now. But I do know a lot about the beginning of the movement and it inspired me to use it as a backdrop for these characters," he explained further.
"The Master" will grace the U.S. cinemas on September 14.
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign