Joss Whedon Responds to Negative Comments About 'The Avengers'
Back in May, Samuel L. Jackson grabbed the headline as he slammed The New York Times' film critic A.O. Scottto for giving "The Avengers" a negative review. Now that the superhero movie has scored so many positive records, director Joss Whedon took some time to respond to the previous bad comment given to his work on the box office giant film.
Weighing in on Jackson's harsh reaction, in which he said that Scottto "needs a new job," Whedon told New York Six, "I went into a bubble when the film came out, but do know that Sam Jackson got pretty huffy." He wisely said, "I don't think a flame war is going to help anybody."
Still, the creator of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" admitted that he was rather annoyed by people who gave bad reviews on the film because of the genre and not because of his hardwork. "People are allowed to not like the film, but I do get annoyed when somebody really hasn't done their homework," he said. "A lot of reporting in the negative reviews... was more likely they were reviewing the [superhero] genre than the movie itself."
No matter what critics had said about "The Avengers", the Marvel superhero ensemble flick has proven its quality by scoring big internationally. Of the tremendous result, Whedon said that he's "a little bit" surprised.
"We were trying to make something popular, but this went to a different place. It's a far from perfect film, but it struck a chord," he added. "I've always been trying to make big summer movies, and sometimes they've turned out to be little films. You're always starving for the same moments."
Whedon has officially sealed the deal to helm "The Avengers 2", which is scheduled to open in the U.S. on May 1, 2015. Speaking about his preparation before jumping to the highly-anticipated sequel, the New York-born moviemaker said, "We're just at the beginning stage. I don't think we'll be able to shoot it in 12 days."
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger
- 'Don't Breathe' Scares 'Suicide Squad' Away From Box Office's No. 1
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake, Calvin Harris and Fifth Harmony Among Early Winners
- MTV VMAs 2016: Watch Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's Performances
- Ariana Grande Confirms She's Dating Mac Miller at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Frank Ocean Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Blonde'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet