'The Dark Knight Rises' Reaches $1 Billion Mark Worldwide
The latest Batman installment has officially become the 13th movie of all time to reach $1 billion in box office. Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" hit the milestone on Sunday, September 2, grossing $431.2 million domestically and around $574 million internationally. They amount to $1.005 billion.
Consequently, WB's "Dark Knight Rises" is doing even better than its predecessor "The Dark Knight" which raked in $1.0003 billion worldwide in 2008. However, this is because "Rises" is more exposed to international market than "Dark Knight".
"Rises" actually would have taken in larger income in the U.S. had the Aurora shooting not occurred and scared away moviegoers. Many returned their tickets or canceled plans to watch the movie in cinemas after the July 20 incident.
With the $1 billion income from the latest movie, "Batman" becomes one of the only two franchises beside Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" to have two movies over a billion dollars at the worldwide box office.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift