Michael Keaton Officially Snatches Villain Role in 'RoboCop' Remake
The search for a new villain for "RoboCop" has come to its end. Deadline reports that Michael Keaton has snatched the antagonist role, which was previously dropped by Hugh Laurie.
Keaton is set to star as Raymond Sellars, the evil CEO of OmniCorp. The company itself is the one which creates RoboCop for its own gain. Taking the part of the titular cyborg is "The Killing" actor Joel Kinnaman.
The news about Keaton's casting is quite surprising since it was recently reported that Clive Owen was the one who's approached to replace Laurie. Weighing in on the casting, director Jose Padilha explains that Keaton is the last actor to round up the film's cast ensemble.
"Michael is the final addition to the amazing cast we have assembled for this film and it is so great to have the last puzzle piece in place," Padilha says. "It is thrilling that everything has come together to bring this innovative new vision of RoboCop to life. We've got a great script, a great cast, some killer ED-209's and I can't wait to get Alex Murphy back on the streets."
A remake of Paul Verhoeven's 1987 sci-fier of the same title, the new "RoboCop" focuses on Alex Murphy, a cop who is brought back from the brink of death in the form of a cyborg with no memories of his prior life.
Scheduled to arrive in the U.S. theaters on August 9, 2013, "RoboCop" also stars the likes of Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Abbie Cornish, Jay Baruchel and Jackie Earle Haley.
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist