David Fincher Exits Angelina Jolie-Starring 'Cleopatra', Ang Lee May Replace
Angelina Jolie starrer "Cleopatra" has lost its director for the third time. Vulture reported that "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" helmer David Fincher has exited the long-gestating project, but the reason behind his departure remained unclear.
Fincher was the third filmmaker who decided to pass on the potential tentpole, which has been in development since 2010. Back in October that year, "Titanic" helmer James Cameron was attached to the gig, but he later let it go due to his commitment to the "Avatar" film franchise for 20th Century Fox.
Later in January 2011, "The Bourne Ultimatum" director Paul Greengrass was tapped to shepherd to movie. However, he bailed out of the project in March the same year and it was not clear as to why he made the decision. Fincher himself was approached by Sony Pictures soon after wrapping "Dragon Tattoo" for the studio.
Fincher's decision to quit the "Cleopatra" gig was quite surprising since he recently expressed his enthusiasm for the project. "That's something I would love to do with Angie. It's something that was brought to me that you have to take seriously," Fincher told MTV News.
Shortly after the helmer of "The Social Network" bowed out of the project, report has swirled that "Brokeback Mountain" filmmaker Ang Lee was approached to take over the directing duty. Though Lee was said to be the studio's top choice for the job, The Hollywood Reporter noted that no formal offer has been made for him.
"Cleopatra" has hired Eric Roth to adapt Stacy Schiff's book "Cleopatra: A Life". The story sees Cleopatra as a firm ruler and military tactician who embarked on a ruthless rise to power. She twice married her brothers, killing each of them as well as a sister.
Romantic alliances with the much-older Roman honchos Julius Caesar and Marc Antony helped her solidify power, but her dalliance with Antony undid both of them.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story