'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel Still Moves Forward but Won't Be Released in 2013
David Fincher's thriller franchise based on Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series has not died just yet. Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that the sequel to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" is definitely still in the works, but fans must wait a little longer before the film hits theaters Stateside.
A source close to the production of the franchise tells EW that "The Girl Who Played with Fire (2014)" will not open in cinemas in late 2013, as it was originally scheduled. It is reported that scribe Steven Zaillian is still penning the script and "nothing will move forward until the screenplay is nailed down."
The second installment of the Millennium trilogy still hasn't officially tapped its director, but Fincher remains the first choice to shepherd the crime thriller series. Sony Pictures Entertainment topper Amy Pascal has previously confirmed that Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara were sealed to return as Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander respectively.
Amid the uncertainty of the timetable for "Girl Who Played with Fire", an insider says that the studio is not in a rush to make the movie and at the moment "there is no information about when it might be released."
Back in March, MGM announced that it booked "modest lost" on "Dragon Tattoo" as stating that grossing $231 million worldwide was not enough to turn a profit on the $100 million-budgeted movie adaptation of Larsson's acclaimed novel. That led to speculation that MGM might not support the development of the follow-up pics.
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck