'The Office' to Wrap Up After Nine Seasons With Artistic and Cool Ending
The upcoming ninth season will be the swan song for "The Office". It has been officially announced that the mockumentary, which is adapted from Ricky Gervais' British comedy series of the same title, will end its run after nine seasons.
"This year feels like the last chance to really go out together and make an artistic ending for the show that pays off a lot of the stuff that matters most to fans," original showrunner (season 1-5) Greg Daniels told reporters during a conference call on Tuesday, August 21. "This will be the last season of The Office. And we're planning a very big exciting last season.... The end should be pretty cool."
Speaking about their decision to end the show after the ninth season, Daniels who will return as a showrunner for one last season explained, "You have a choice - only tell the beginning of story and the middle, or allow a story to end." He added, "If we didn't let it end this year, I don't think we would have been able to tell the ending stories of so many characters... we couldn't count on getting everybody back for season 10."
"There are a lot of things that I've personally been wanting to do since season two," he said when sharing what people could expect from the last season. Revealing that a lot of familiar faces would be coming back, he further teased, "All questions will be answered this year. We're going to see who's behind the documentary." Additionally, there will be "more drama in the Jim and Pam story line."
Asked about the possibility of having Steve Carell returning as Michael Scott, Daniels said, "We'll see. We have ideas for the ending, and obviously if he would participate, we would have a lot of good times. The idea will fly without him if he can't make it. He is pretty busy."
The ninth and final season of "The Office" will kick off Thursday, September 20 at 9 P.M. on NBC. B.J. Novak and Mindy Kaling return although in smaller capacities, while Jake Lacy and Clark Duke are added to the cast ensemble.
Tweeting about the cancellation, original cast member Rainn Wilson wrote, "A sad & interesting day on set as it was officially announced Season 9 would be the last for @TheOfficeNBC." Meanwhile, Jenna Fischer retweeted OfficeTally's message which read, "Greg Daniels: We'll make this season 'special, memorable, and exciting' for fans."
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'
- Gigi Hadid Blames Meds for Skinnier Figure, Announces Social Media Break Over the Holidays
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt While Celebrating Birthday With Meek Mill
- 'La La Land' and 'Arrival' Among AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2016
- Donald Trump Is Still Involved in 'The Apprentice' After All
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson