Miss China Wen Xia Yu Wins 2012 Miss World Pageant
Miss China Wen Xia Yu won the Miss World beauty pageant 2012. At a ceremony held on Saturday, August 18 in the northeastern city of Ordos, China, the 23-year-old beat the other 115 contestants competing this year.
"When I was young I felt very lucky because so many people helped me and I hope in the future, I can help more children to feel lucky," Yu said why she deserves to win the title. When asked who should win, the music student said, "She should be a woman with kind heart and humility, who has simple values in complex world."
In the record-breaking year, as many as 116 representatives were vying for the crown this year. From Top 15, it was narrowed down straight to Top 7. Representatives of Jamaica, South Sudan, India, Australia, Brazil, China PR and Wales had 30 seconds each to address the judges and the audience.
Settling at the second and third places are Sophie Elizabeth Moulds of Wales and Jessica Michelle Kahawaty of Australia respectively. This is the second time China took home the Miss World honor, the last time being Zhang Zilin in 2007.
Next year, the pageant will be held in Bali, Indonesia.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'