Pussy Riot Debut New Song 'Putin Lights Up the Fires' After Sentenced to Two Years in Jail
Pussy Riot continue sounding off their protest against Vladimir Putin. On the same day they were found guilty of "hooliganism motivated by religious hatred," the all-female rockers dropped their new song "Putin Lights Up the Fires" which made its way out via The Guardian.
The newly-released track seemingly takes a jab at their sentencing and once again shows the band's boldness in criticizing Putin and the Russian government. "Putin ignites the fires of revolution/ He was bored and frightened people in silence/ Whatever punishment he had - that rotten ash/ With no time in many years - the reason for pollution," part of the translated lyrics reads.
Pussy Riot's members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Maria Alyokhina, were sentenced to two years in prison each on Friday, August 17 after staging an anti-Vladimir Putin performance at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, Moscow, in February. At that time, the feminist rockers sang "Virgin Mary, Put Putin Away", whose lyrics express their prayer to the Virgin Mary to protect the Russian people from President Putin.
Madonna previously showed her support to the punk band's braveness and other artists have criticized the sentencing. The Black Keys' drummer Patrick Carney tweeted, "FYI. We will never being playing a show in Russia as long as they imprison innocent musicians for speaking their minds peacefully," while Mischa Barton wrote on her Twitter, "I can't believe sentencing #pussyriot to2 yrs in jail.as someone who lived in Moscow and has filmed& seen inside the jails my heart goes out."
Kate Walsh said, "What a massive disappointment for Russia: imprisoning pussyriot?? Shame on you," Franz Ferdinand's frontman Alex Kapranos wrote, "The #PussyRiot sentence places Russia's corruption & repression on a spot-lit global stage. Congratulations Maria, Katya & Nadia: you won," and Ana Matronic of Scissor Sisters added, "Keep the women of #PussyRiot in your hearts & (punk) prayers."
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'