'RoboCop' Remake Finds Its Detroit Police Chief in Marianne Jean-Baptiste
RoboCop has found his boss in the upcoming remake movie. Variety breaks the news that Marianne Jean-Baptiste has been cast as the Detroit Police Chief called Karen Dean in Jose Padilha's new version of "RoboCop" which has Joel Kinnaman starring as the titular cyborg.
Jean-Baptiste, who was nominated for Oscar thanks to her role in 1996's "Secrets & Lies", will also join the likes of Hugh Laurie, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, Abbie Cornish, Jay Baruchel and Jackie Earle Haley. It's still unclear as to when the film will kick off the production.
A remake of Paul Verhoeven's 1987 sci-fier of the same title, the new "RoboCop" is set in 2029 when multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front.
Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex's life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before.
The reboot film will make its way out onto the U.S. cinemas on August 9, 2013.
As for Jean-Baptiste, the English actress will next be seen in "The Moment" which stars Martin Henderson, "Violet & Daisy" which has Saoirse Ronan and James Gandolfini, "360" which is supported by Jude Law and Anthony Hopkins, as well as "Won't Back Down" which stars Viola Davis.
- Justin Bieber Exposes His Upper Thighs During Outing
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M