Zoe Saldana Cast as Jazz Artist Nina Simone in Biopic
After being put on hold for so long, Cynthia Mort's planned Nina Simone biopic is finally ready to begin production as it has found a perfect actress to star as the late singer. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Zoe Saldana has officially signed on to tackle the titular part in "Nina".
The "Avatar" actress will be joined by David Oyelowo, who is set to tackle the part of Nina's manager Clifton Henderson. Previously, Mary J. Blige was attached to the long-gestating project, but she exited the gig which at that time faced funding issues.
"Nina" tells the life story of the late jazz musician and classical pianist, including her rise to fame and relationship with Clifton. Known as a singer/songwriter in the 1950s, Nina was involved in the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Due to tax issue, she moved out to France, where she passed away in 2003.
Cynthia will serve as the director in addition to penning the script. She will begin lensing on October 16 in Los Angeles. Serving as the producers, meanwhile, are Mark Burton, Barnaby Thompson, Stuart Parr and Ben Latham Jones.
Zoe will next be seen starring opposite Christian Bale in "Dust to Dust", as well as reprising her role as Nyota Uhura in J.J. Abrams' untitled Star Trek sequel. David, on the other hand, will be seen in "Jack Reacher" which also stars Tom Cruise. He's currently filming Lee Daniels' "The Butler".
More Nina News
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'
- Victim's Relative Says Chris Soules Fatal Car Crash 'Was Just a Freak Accident'
- Tarek El Moussa and Christina Put Divorce on Hold to Focus on Their Show
- Kendra Wilkinson Is Slammed by Farrah Abraham on 'Marriage Boot Camp' Promo
- Caitlyn Jenner Claps Back at Kris Jenner Over Harsh Comment About Caitlyn's New Memoir
- HyunA Gets Slammed for Saying That Skin Exposure on Stage Should Be Justified