Kelsey Grammer Says He's Snubbed by Emmys for Being Republican
Kelsey Grammer has a quite controversial opinion on why he didn't get a nomination at this year's Primetime Emmy Awards, though his role on "Boss" led him to win a Golden Globe Award. Stopping by "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Tuesday night, August 14, the actor said that the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences might snub him because he's a Republican.
"It's hard to figure... It may have to do with several things, honestly, but I think it's possible... I'm a declared out-of-the-closet Republican in Hollywood," he told Jay Leno. "Do I believe it's possible that some young person, young voting actor - or even older voting member for the Emmys - would sit there and go, 'Yeah, that's a great performance, but ooh, I just hate everything he stands for?' I don't believe that's possible," he said sarcastically.
When the host pointed out that Grammer had won five Emmys before, the former "Frasier" star claimed he just became a Republican after winning the last one in 2006. He added with sarcasm, "Obviously I've been overlooked because the work is not up to standard."
Despite Grammer's claim that he became an out-of-the-closet Republican after 2006, American Spectator magazine had reported in 2001 that he donated $100,000 to the inauguration committee for President Bush. The 57-year-old actor also endorsed Rudy Giuliani in the 2008 presidential primary, and later supported John McCain in the general election.
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does