Kelsey Grammer Says He's Snubbed by Emmys for Being Republican
Kelsey Grammer has a quite controversial opinion on why he didn't get a nomination at this year's Primetime Emmy Awards, though his role on "Boss" led him to win a Golden Globe Award. Stopping by "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Tuesday night, August 14, the actor said that the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences might snub him because he's a Republican.
"It's hard to figure... It may have to do with several things, honestly, but I think it's possible... I'm a declared out-of-the-closet Republican in Hollywood," he told Jay Leno. "Do I believe it's possible that some young person, young voting actor - or even older voting member for the Emmys - would sit there and go, 'Yeah, that's a great performance, but ooh, I just hate everything he stands for?' I don't believe that's possible," he said sarcastically.
When the host pointed out that Grammer had won five Emmys before, the former "Frasier" star claimed he just became a Republican after winning the last one in 2006. He added with sarcasm, "Obviously I've been overlooked because the work is not up to standard."
Despite Grammer's claim that he became an out-of-the-closet Republican after 2006, American Spectator magazine had reported in 2001 that he donated $100,000 to the inauguration committee for President Bush. The 57-year-old actor also endorsed Rudy Giuliani in the 2008 presidential primary, and later supported John McCain in the general election.
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris