Kelsey Grammer Says He's Snubbed by Emmys for Being Republican
Kelsey Grammer has a quite controversial opinion on why he didn't get a nomination at this year's Primetime Emmy Awards, though his role on "Boss" led him to win a Golden Globe Award. Stopping by "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Tuesday night, August 14, the actor said that the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences might snub him because he's a Republican.
"It's hard to figure... It may have to do with several things, honestly, but I think it's possible... I'm a declared out-of-the-closet Republican in Hollywood," he told Jay Leno. "Do I believe it's possible that some young person, young voting actor - or even older voting member for the Emmys - would sit there and go, 'Yeah, that's a great performance, but ooh, I just hate everything he stands for?' I don't believe that's possible," he said sarcastically.
When the host pointed out that Grammer had won five Emmys before, the former "Frasier" star claimed he just became a Republican after winning the last one in 2006. He added with sarcasm, "Obviously I've been overlooked because the work is not up to standard."
Despite Grammer's claim that he became an out-of-the-closet Republican after 2006, American Spectator magazine had reported in 2001 that he donated $100,000 to the inauguration committee for President Bush. The 57-year-old actor also endorsed Rudy Giuliani in the 2008 presidential primary, and later supported John McCain in the general election.
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest