Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' Confirmed as New York Film Festival 2012 Opener
Before arriving in theaters Stateside on November 21, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" is set to be screened at a prestigious event. On Monday, August 13, it was announced that the first 3D creation from the "Brokeback Mountain" helmer has been chosen to open the 50th Annual New York Film Festival on September 28.
"Life of Pi" would be Lee's second movie to screen at the festival after "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" served as the Closing Night Gala presentation twelve years ago. The screening would also mark the first time a feature film being presented in 3D format for NYFF's Opening Night Gala.
Commenting on the selection, Richard Pena, Selection Committee Chair & Program Director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center, said, " 'Life of Pi' is a perfect combination of technological innovation and a strong artistic vision." He added, "Ang Lee has managed to make a deeply moving, engrossing work that will delight audiences as much as it will astonish them. We're enormously proud to have this film for our Opening Night for the 50th NYFF."
Director Lee himself gushed that he was honored to have his movie chosen as the opener. "I am both delighted and honored to be back at the New York Film Festival with 'Life of Pi'. I have the deepest respect for Richard Pena and his team and to be selected by them as the Opening Night Film for the 50th Anniversary is extremely gratifying," he said. "I am also excited because this is my hometown, and to be unveiling this film that I am so proud of here is a real pleasure."
Scheduled for a 17-day run, this year's NYFF will highlight the best in world cinema and feature top films from celebrated filmmakers as well as fresh talents. Tickets will be available for public starting September 9. There will be an advance ticketing opportunity for Film Society of Lincoln Center Patrons and Members prior to that date.
As for "Life of Pi", the movie tells a story about a young man who survives a tragic disaster at sea and is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While marooned on a lifeboat, he forms an amazing and unexpected connection with the ship's only other survivor - a fearsome Bengal tiger.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7