Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' Confirmed as New York Film Festival 2012 Opener
Before arriving in theaters Stateside on November 21, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" is set to be screened at a prestigious event. On Monday, August 13, it was announced that the first 3D creation from the "Brokeback Mountain" helmer has been chosen to open the 50th Annual New York Film Festival on September 28.
"Life of Pi" would be Lee's second movie to screen at the festival after "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" served as the Closing Night Gala presentation twelve years ago. The screening would also mark the first time a feature film being presented in 3D format for NYFF's Opening Night Gala.
Commenting on the selection, Richard Pena, Selection Committee Chair & Program Director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center, said, " 'Life of Pi' is a perfect combination of technological innovation and a strong artistic vision." He added, "Ang Lee has managed to make a deeply moving, engrossing work that will delight audiences as much as it will astonish them. We're enormously proud to have this film for our Opening Night for the 50th NYFF."
Director Lee himself gushed that he was honored to have his movie chosen as the opener. "I am both delighted and honored to be back at the New York Film Festival with 'Life of Pi'. I have the deepest respect for Richard Pena and his team and to be selected by them as the Opening Night Film for the 50th Anniversary is extremely gratifying," he said. "I am also excited because this is my hometown, and to be unveiling this film that I am so proud of here is a real pleasure."
Scheduled for a 17-day run, this year's NYFF will highlight the best in world cinema and feature top films from celebrated filmmakers as well as fresh talents. Tickets will be available for public starting September 9. There will be an advance ticketing opportunity for Film Society of Lincoln Center Patrons and Members prior to that date.
As for "Life of Pi", the movie tells a story about a young man who survives a tragic disaster at sea and is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While marooned on a lifeboat, he forms an amazing and unexpected connection with the ship's only other survivor - a fearsome Bengal tiger.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?