Video: Spice Girls' Reunion and Queen's Duet With Jessie J at Olympic Closing Ceremony
Some of the most famous British musicians gathered for the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics on Sunday, August 12. As it had been expected, the reunited Spice Girls took the stage to cater the crowd with their hit singles "Wannabe" and "Spice Up Your Life". Victoria Adams, Melanie Brown, Emma Bunton, Melanie C and Geri Halliwell were singing atop cabs toward the end of their set.
Delivering another energetic performance were Queen and Jessie J. Guitarist Brian May opened it with a jam session before the "LaserLight" songstress joined him and drummer Roger Taylor for a rendition of "We Will Rock You". The late Freddie Mercury, meanwhile, made appearance through a video played during the event.
Jessie J also collaborated with Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz to cover the Bee Gees' classic "You Should Be Dancing" after performing their own respective hit singles ("Price Tag", "Written in the Stars" and "Dynamite"). The show also paid tribute to legendary singer John Lennon by featuring a children choir singing his hit "Imagine", before a video of him performing the song was played.
Such veteran artists as George Michael, former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher, Muse and Annie Lennox made the night merrier, while One Direction and Ed Sheeran were called out that night to represent today's popular acts. The Beatles' song "I Am the Walrus" was also heard that night as Russell Brand led the crowds to sing along with him.
Spice Girls' "Wannabe" and "Spice Up Your Life":
Queen and Jessie J's "We Will Rock You":
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger
- 'Don't Breathe' Scares 'Suicide Squad' Away From Box Office's No. 1
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake, Calvin Harris and Fifth Harmony Among Early Winners
- MTV VMAs 2016: Watch Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's Performances
- Ariana Grande Confirms She's Dating Mac Miller at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Frank Ocean Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Blonde'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet