Bjork Demands Russian Authorities to Free Pussy Riot From Jail
Bjork joins the growing list of Pussy Riot supporters. The Icelandic singer demands the Russian authorities to free the punk band who were arrested for hooliganism following their performance in Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.
"As a musician and a mother I would like to express I fiercely don't agree with them being put to jail because of their peaceful protest performance," Bjork says in a statement on her official website. "They are currently standing trial and facing seven years in prison for this."
"In my opinion the Russian authorities should let them go home to their families and children," she continues, before concluding, "I would like to invite Pussy Riot to join me in a particular song on stage: which was written for all enhancement of justice."
The members of the feminist band were arrested after they performed a "punk prayer" gig that criticized Vladimir Putin's "sexist regime." Three female members were taken into custody, while three others reportedly went into hiding from Russian authorities.
Other Pussy Riot supporters include Yoko Ono and Madonna. The widow of John Lennon issued an open letter, "Mr. Putin, you are a wise man. You don't need to fight with musicians and their friends. Please FREE PUSSY RIOT! And keep space in the prison for serious criminals."
Madge voiced their support for the band on stage. In a concert in the country, she covered her face with a balaclava, the band's trademark masks. "I mean no disrespect to the church or the government, but I think that these three girls - Masha, Katya, Nadya - I think that they have done something courageous," she said.
Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin was quick to respond to the "W.E." director. The former NATO ambassador branded the singer/filmmaker a sl*t in a Twitter posting. "Every ex-wh*re tends to lecture everybody with age. Especially during world tours and concerts," he wrote.
Putin himself said of what Pussy Riot did, "There is nothing good in what they did [but] I don't think they should be judged too severely."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance