Fareed Zakaria Suspended by CNN and Time After Admitting to Plagiarism
Fareed Zakaria faces suspension from CNN and Time after being hit with plagiarism accusation. The journalist has admitted to making a mistake after media pointed out that his article "The Case for Gun Control" for Time contains passages lifted from Jill Lepore's article "Battleground America" published in an April issue of The New Yorker.
"We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria's Time column, for which he has apologized. He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed, and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review," the news channel says in a statement. Zakaria hosts "Fareed Zakaria GPS" which airs every Sunday on CNN.
Taking a similar move, Time states, "Time accepts Fareed's apology, but what he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well. As a result, we are suspending Fareed's column for a month, pending further review."
Through his own statement, Zakaria has offered his apology. "Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore's essay in the April 22nd issue of The New Yorker. They are right," he says. "I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time and to my readers."
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal