George Michael, The Who, One Direction and More to Close the London Olympics
While the Olympics organizers have tried to keep details of the closing ceremony under wraps, reports of who will perform at the summer games' closer have swirled wildly on the Internet. Promising a more spectacular show than the opening ceremony, the after-party is said to feature such British artists as George Michael, The Who and One Direction.
Previously, Coldplay, Muse, Queen, Madness and Pet Shop Boys were also said to deliver performances at the closing ceremony. Other notable names mentioned as the potential performers were Annie Lennox, Kaiser Chiefs, Tinie Tempah, Jessie J, Ed Sheeran and Elbow.
The 1990s globe-conquering girlband Spice Girls were also tipped as the star act of the upcoming event to take place on August 12. Take That were expected to take part, but since their lead singer Gary Barlow has just lost his baby earlier this week, their participation at the event remained undecided.
The musical performers aside, British comedy talents such as Russell Brand, Jennifer Saunders and Eric Idle have been reported to take the stage as well.
The anticipated Olympics closing ceremony has been said to feature more than 4100 performers, including 3500 adult volunteers and 380 school children from the six east London host boroughs. Serving as the music director would be David Arnold, who has composed the music for five James Bond movies.
Dubbed "A Symphony of British Music", the event is expected to be a display of stars and songs celebrating 50 years of British music and culture. Arnold recently told The Telegraph that the closer would be "the greatest after-party in the world." He gushed, "If the opening ceremony was the wedding, then we're the wedding reception."
It has also been said that the show will feature "lollipop ladies directing traffic, a parade of the Queen's Coldstream Guards, a recreation of the Notting Hill Carnival and a catwalk of British models including Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell."
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers