Whitney Houston Discusses Playing a Mother in 'Sparkle' Featurette
A featurette for "Sparkle" that prominently features the late diva Whitney Houston has been dropped online. Making its way out via Yahoo! Movies, the promo video shows Whitney discussing her character Emma, who is a strict mother to Jordin Sparks' titular character.
In addition to Whitney's commentary, the footage unveils a host of new scenes including various stunning stage performances by Jordin, Tika Sumpter and Carmen Ejogo. The three actresses also talk about the music in the movie which they dub "amazing." A better look at Cee-Lo Green's character is also shown in the video.
"Sparkle", which is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film of the same title, is inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
Directed by Salim Akil and written by his wife Mara Brock Akil, the Motown drama also has Mike Epps, Omari Hardwick and Derek Luke lining up in the cast ensemble. It will open in the U.S. on August 17.
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video