Whitney Houston Discusses Playing a Mother in 'Sparkle' Featurette
A featurette for "Sparkle" that prominently features the late diva Whitney Houston has been dropped online. Making its way out via Yahoo! Movies, the promo video shows Whitney discussing her character Emma, who is a strict mother to Jordin Sparks' titular character.
In addition to Whitney's commentary, the footage unveils a host of new scenes including various stunning stage performances by Jordin, Tika Sumpter and Carmen Ejogo. The three actresses also talk about the music in the movie which they dub "amazing." A better look at Cee-Lo Green's character is also shown in the video.
"Sparkle", which is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film of the same title, is inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
Directed by Salim Akil and written by his wife Mara Brock Akil, the Motown drama also has Mike Epps, Omari Hardwick and Derek Luke lining up in the cast ensemble. It will open in the U.S. on August 17.
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed