Whitney Houston Discusses Playing a Mother in 'Sparkle' Featurette
A featurette for "Sparkle" that prominently features the late diva Whitney Houston has been dropped online. Making its way out via Yahoo! Movies, the promo video shows Whitney discussing her character Emma, who is a strict mother to Jordin Sparks' titular character.
In addition to Whitney's commentary, the footage unveils a host of new scenes including various stunning stage performances by Jordin, Tika Sumpter and Carmen Ejogo. The three actresses also talk about the music in the movie which they dub "amazing." A better look at Cee-Lo Green's character is also shown in the video.
"Sparkle", which is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film of the same title, is inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
Directed by Salim Akil and written by his wife Mara Brock Akil, the Motown drama also has Mike Epps, Omari Hardwick and Derek Luke lining up in the cast ensemble. It will open in the U.S. on August 17.
- Ryan Seacrest Assures Fans Everything Is OK After Fire Breaks Out at His $50M Mansion
- Pregnant Again? Blac Chyna Sports Suspicious Bump While Stepping Out With Another Man
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'