Jay Roach Says 'Austin Powers 4' Still Possible, Teases Doctor Evil Spin-Off
It's been a while since fans last heard about the development progress of "Austin Powers 4". As some people begin to believe the long-gestating project is already dead, director Jay Roach brings a hope that the spy comedy flick is still happening. Though so, he notes that fans may have to wait a little longer for it.
Speaking to MTV News when promoting his latest film "The Campaign", Roach opens up that he and Mike Myers have been working to create a perfect plot for the fourth "Austin Powers" movie. "I talk to Mike all the time," he says. "We're friends. He gave me the break of a lifetime, doing 'Austin 1'. For 10 years, we've tried to figure out what the right story would be."
While the director doesn't share further updates on the next "Austin Powers" film, he hints at the possibility to make a spin-off movie for Austin's archenemy Doctor Evil. "We've always talked about how great it would be to have a Doctor Evil spin-off," he dishes. "It has always been kind of a: when it's exactly right, that's when it will take off."
Back in 2011, Meyers has signed up to reprise his role as the titular character of the "Austin Powers" film franchise. The Canadian actor has also sealed a deal with New Line Cinema to serve as the screenwriter and the producer. However, the exact filming date for the fourth film has not been determined yet.
The first "Austin Powers" movie, "International Man of Mystery", was released in 1997, followed by 1999's "The Spy Who Shagged Me" and 2002's "Goldmember". The three films have grossed $676 million from worldwide ticket sales.
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special
- Zendaya Calls Out 'Pervs' Who Say She's Masturbating on Her Wonderland Cover
- Rihanna Flashes Nipples in See-Through Dress and Later Steps Out in Green Tutu Dress
- The Rock's New Action Flick 'Skyscraper' Acquired by Legendary
- Lindsay Lohan and Beau Egor Tarabasov Get Cozy During Movie Date in London
- Calvin Harris Cancels More Las Vegas Shows After Car Accident
- Jake Gyllenhaal Helps Amy Schumer Spoof 'Catfish' and the Victim Becomes Obscure