NBC Denies Discriminating Against Sharon Osbourne's Son, but Cares About His Safety
NBC has shared its side of the story regarding Jack Osbourne's alleged firing from "Stars Earn Stripes" after he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. After Sharon Osbourne claimed that the network discriminated against her son, NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt says, "First, we have the deepest affection for Sharon Osbourne and consider her to be part of the NBC family."
"And our hearts go out to her, Ozzy, Jack and his family at this time," he adds. "We hold medical information in strict confidence and therefore cannot comment specifically about Jack, but as a company that cares deeply about the health and safety of everyone on our shows -- especially one like STARS EARN STRIPES that requires dangerous water stunts, strenuous physical activity, and uses live ammunition -- we required all potential participants to undergo medical vetting to ensure that they could safely participate."
Greenblatt goes on explaining, "Although we did not ask Jack to participate in the competition, we were able to offer him two substantial alternative roles on the show, both of which he declined. This network does not discriminate on any basis."
NBC releases the statement after Sharon told NY Post that the real reason she bows out of "America's Got Talent" is discrimination against her son Jack. "I just can't be fake. It's discrimination, and it was badly handled," she said to the publication, revealing that she was informed about Jack's axing just two days before he was supposed to start working on the reality series.
"He didn't want the money," the wife of Ozzy Osbourne said of her son. "He wanted his gig. It gave him something to look forward to when he was diagnosed. Think of the good that it could have done to show other people who have this [condition] that your life is not over."
Previously, "Stars Earn Stripes" producer David Hurwitz said that Jack was in talks for the show, but he was never hired. He believed that "the rigors of the show were too intense for him."
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Feud With Adam Lambert: 'This Is Completely Entertainment'
- SISTAR Disbands After 7 Years, Members Pen Heartfelt Handwritten Letters to Fans
- Michael Jackson's Songs Are Reportedly Not Allowed to Be Featured in 'Bubbles'
- The Weeknd Buys $18 Million Luxurious House. Will Selena Gomez Move In?
- Celine Dion and Cher Reportedly Feuding at BBMAs