NBC Denies Discriminating Against Sharon Osbourne's Son, but Cares About His Safety
NBC has shared its side of the story regarding Jack Osbourne's alleged firing from "Stars Earn Stripes" after he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. After Sharon Osbourne claimed that the network discriminated against her son, NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt says, "First, we have the deepest affection for Sharon Osbourne and consider her to be part of the NBC family."
"And our hearts go out to her, Ozzy, Jack and his family at this time," he adds. "We hold medical information in strict confidence and therefore cannot comment specifically about Jack, but as a company that cares deeply about the health and safety of everyone on our shows -- especially one like STARS EARN STRIPES that requires dangerous water stunts, strenuous physical activity, and uses live ammunition -- we required all potential participants to undergo medical vetting to ensure that they could safely participate."
Greenblatt goes on explaining, "Although we did not ask Jack to participate in the competition, we were able to offer him two substantial alternative roles on the show, both of which he declined. This network does not discriminate on any basis."
NBC releases the statement after Sharon told NY Post that the real reason she bows out of "America's Got Talent" is discrimination against her son Jack. "I just can't be fake. It's discrimination, and it was badly handled," she said to the publication, revealing that she was informed about Jack's axing just two days before he was supposed to start working on the reality series.
"He didn't want the money," the wife of Ozzy Osbourne said of her son. "He wanted his gig. It gave him something to look forward to when he was diagnosed. Think of the good that it could have done to show other people who have this [condition] that your life is not over."
Previously, "Stars Earn Stripes" producer David Hurwitz said that Jack was in talks for the show, but he was never hired. He believed that "the rigors of the show were too intense for him."
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans
- Stephen Amell and Will Arnett Joke About Making an 'Arrow' Feature Film
- Liam Hemsworth Admits His 2013 Split From Miley Cyrus 'Was Hard'
- Madonna Throws Shade at BET for Diss Over Her BBMA Tribute to Prince