Lil Wayne to Take a Break From Rapping to Focus on Skateboarding
Is Lil Wayne planning to take a rap hiatus in the near future? The "Lollipop" rapper himself has declared that he's about to take a break from his recording career after having nine successful studio albums. The Young Money artist opened up that he would like to explore his newfound passion for skateboarding.
"I picked up the skateboard and I thought it'd be a hobby and what happened is it's a lifestyle," so the New Orleans native said during a recent interview with Atlanta radio station Hot 107.9. "In order to be fully committed, you have to live that lifestyle. With these young kids now, you have to be about that life. It's kind of putting rap on the back burner. Rap's taken a backseat to skating."
Explaining why he made such a surprising decision amid his rocketing career, the 29-year-old MC said, "I kinda feel like I deserve that. I feel like the fans deserve a lil' no Wayne." He added, "I've been everywhere. I've been out on everybody's song, I'm still on everybody's song, my artists are doing awesome. I believe the fans deserve some peace from me. I be on my skateboard in the meantime."
Lil Wayne is set to drop a new mixtape, "Dedication 4", on August 15. Talking about the difference for him between recording an album and a mixtape, the rapper dished, "When I'm mentally doing the album and doing those songs, I make sure I stay on subject [and] that I'm saying things in the song [so] that you can be singing the song and repeat those things and they still make a lot of sense to actually say."
"I make sure I do all those things when it comes to making an album," he continued. "When I'm making a mixtape, there's not half of that thought. I just say what comes to my mind, I make it make sense, and that's how it goes... 'Mixtape Weezy' means freelancing my thoughts everywhere and just putting them together like a puzzle."
More Lil Wayne News
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' Gets Christmas Release Date and Official Synopsis
- Khloe Kardashian Cozying Up to Odell Beckham Jr. at Drake's Memorial Day Party
- Keira Knightley Defended by Directors and Fellow Stars After John Carney Trashed Her
- Jena Malone and Boyfriend Welcome Baby Boy - Meet Baby Ode!
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'