Report: Jimmy Fallon Eyed to Host Academy Awards 2013
Could Jimmy Fallon host the Oscars 2013 telecast? According to Los Angeles Times, the former "Saturday Night Live" star is in talks to serve as the emcee for next year's Academy Awards show in February. It is also said that "SNL" veteran Lorne Michaels is courted to serve as the producer.
Though so, insiders note that ABC, which airs the annual prize-giving event, has objections to have Fallon as the host for its Oscar broadcast. The problem is because the comedian works for rival NBC on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon". Still, the Alphabet has no authority to veto the choice of the Oscars host.
LA Times also reports that Disney chief executive Bob Iger is not happy with the idea to hire Fallon, whose talk show is a rival of ABC's late-night show featuring Jimmy Kimmel. Representatives for Fallon have yet to clarify the report, while spokeswoman for the AMPAS insists that there are no talks with both Fallon or Michaels.
Fallon himself has showed his hosting skill at the 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards in 2010, for which he received positive reviews. On the other hand, Kimmel will serve as this year's Emmy Awards host. That somehow minimize his chance to serve as the emcee for next year's Oscars.
Selecting an Oscar telecast host is the duty of the Academy president. Hawk Koch, who has just been elected as the new leader of the organization, recently said that his first goal as a president was to find the right producer and host for next year's Oscars and that "comedy was a priority."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie