'Raging Bull II' Gets New Title Following Dispute Settlement With MGM
MGM has resolved a legal dispute with former boxer Jake LaMotta and the producers of "Raging Bull II". On Wednesday, August 1, the studio and the film's producer Dahlia Waingort issued a statement announcing the good news and revealing "The Bronx Bull" as the new title for the planned movie.
"The parties have amicably reached a resolution of their pending litigation, pursuant to which production of a film based upon certain events in the life of Jake LaMotta will proceed under the working title The Bronx Bull," both parties said in a joint statement.
"That film is not related in any way to the 1980 motion picture entitled Raging Bull, and MGM is not associated with the film in any respect. Neither party will have any further statements regarding this matter."
In early July, MGM filed a 7-page complaint, claiming breach of contract and four other counts. The studio wanted the court to halt the production of the Martin Guigui-directed movie which was shot in Los Angeles. The company also wanted to "make sure the indie movie never sees the light of day."
In its papers, MGM stated that LaMotta had no right to allow "Raging Bull II" producers the rights to his 1986 sequel book without first offering it to MGM. The studio was also not happy because the producers of the upcoming film were "publicly associating the Sequel Picture" with the original 1980 Martin Scorsese-directed movie.
Scorsese and original "Raging Bull" star Robert De Niro were not related to "The Bronx Bull". The new version stars William Forsythe as LaMotta, and is also supported by Joe Mantegna, Paul Sorvino and Natasha Henstridge.
"The Bronx Bull" provides this much desired insight into the real-life struggle of a down-and-out pugilist Jake LaMotta, who turns his anger, abusive childhood into a boxing career. Although his brute force turned him into a middleweight champion, it also created challenges in his life.
The movie still hasn't got a U.S. release date.
- Ariana Grande Is 'Broken' After Deadly Explosion at Manchester Concert
- Major Lazer Previews Travis Scott, Quavo and Camila Cabello Collaboration During Alabama Show
- Kourtney Kardashian Never Gets Serious With Younes Bendjima as He's Just Her Fling
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 13 Premiere: The Crazy One, the Creepy One and the First Kiss
- Is Brandy Pregnant With New BF Sir the Baptist's Child?
- 'Teen Mom OG' Star Amber Portwood Denies She's Pregnant With Matt Baier's Child
- Rihanna and Lupita Nyong'o to Star in a Movie Based on a Twitter Sensation
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Flaunt Booties in Skimpy Swimsuits During Vacation in Cannes