Christopher Eccleston Cast as Malekith the Accursed in 'Thor 2'
Rumors that "Thor: The Dark World" will feature the elves as the villains might be true after all. Deadline has the words that the "Thor" sequel has cast Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed, who is none other than the ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim.
Malekith, in the Marvel universe, is described as one of Thor's archenemies. The supervillain once wielded the Casket of Ancient Winters. Though having a vulnerability in iron, Malekith has the ability to manipulate various magic forces such as teleportation, energy projection, physical malleability and many others.
Speculations that "Thor 2" will involve the Dark Elves have recently been fueled by a report suggesting that the second God of Thunder film will be shot underground. It was said that the sequel was set to be filmed this summer in some long tunnels in London. In Marvel comics, the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim are living in caverns and underground places.
Before "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" star Eccleston signs in to the superhero movie project, Mads Mikkelsen was the one who was eyed to tackle the villainous role. The Danish actor, however, turned down the offer due to his busy schedule on NBC's "Hannibal".
Bringing back Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and Anthony Hopkins to the cast ensemble, "Thor 2" is directed by Alan Taylor. The film is due to arrive in the U.S. theaters on November 15, 2013.
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital