Christopher Eccleston Cast as Malekith the Accursed in 'Thor 2'
Rumors that "Thor: The Dark World" will feature the elves as the villains might be true after all. Deadline has the words that the "Thor" sequel has cast Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed, who is none other than the ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim.
Malekith, in the Marvel universe, is described as one of Thor's archenemies. The supervillain once wielded the Casket of Ancient Winters. Though having a vulnerability in iron, Malekith has the ability to manipulate various magic forces such as teleportation, energy projection, physical malleability and many others.
Speculations that "Thor 2" will involve the Dark Elves have recently been fueled by a report suggesting that the second God of Thunder film will be shot underground. It was said that the sequel was set to be filmed this summer in some long tunnels in London. In Marvel comics, the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim are living in caverns and underground places.
Before "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" star Eccleston signs in to the superhero movie project, Mads Mikkelsen was the one who was eyed to tackle the villainous role. The Danish actor, however, turned down the offer due to his busy schedule on NBC's "Hannibal".
Bringing back Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and Anthony Hopkins to the cast ensemble, "Thor 2" is directed by Alan Taylor. The film is due to arrive in the U.S. theaters on November 15, 2013.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?