Christopher Eccleston Cast as Malekith the Accursed in 'Thor 2'
Rumors that "Thor: The Dark World" will feature the elves as the villains might be true after all. Deadline has the words that the "Thor" sequel has cast Christopher Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed, who is none other than the ruler of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim.
Malekith, in the Marvel universe, is described as one of Thor's archenemies. The supervillain once wielded the Casket of Ancient Winters. Though having a vulnerability in iron, Malekith has the ability to manipulate various magic forces such as teleportation, energy projection, physical malleability and many others.
Speculations that "Thor 2" will involve the Dark Elves have recently been fueled by a report suggesting that the second God of Thunder film will be shot underground. It was said that the sequel was set to be filmed this summer in some long tunnels in London. In Marvel comics, the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim are living in caverns and underground places.
Before "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" star Eccleston signs in to the superhero movie project, Mads Mikkelsen was the one who was eyed to tackle the villainous role. The Danish actor, however, turned down the offer due to his busy schedule on NBC's "Hannibal".
Bringing back Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and Anthony Hopkins to the cast ensemble, "Thor 2" is directed by Alan Taylor. The film is due to arrive in the U.S. theaters on November 15, 2013.
- Caitlyn Jenner Defends Daughter Kendall After the Infamous Pepsi Ad Debacle
- Ben Affleck 'Enjoys Being Single' After Divorcing Jennifer Garner
- Cashmere Cat Previews New Single 'Quit' Ft. Ariana Grande
- 'Scream' Season 3 to Get Makeover With New Cast and Location
- Drake Throws Shade at Jennifer Lopez While Staying at the Same Resort Shortly After Her Visit
- Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien Joke About Ivanka Trump Getting Booed in Germany
- Ewan McGregor Is in Talks to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'
- Khloe Kardashian Hit With Lawsuit for Sharing Unlicensed Photo of Herself on Instagram