'Dark Knight Rises' Theater Gunman James Holmes Gets 141 Charges
James Holmes who killed 12 moviegoers and injured 58 others during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" was formally charged on Monday, July 30. He received at least 141 charges when appearing in the Arapahoe County courtroom.
The 24-year-old former medical student was slapped with 24 murder charges and 116 counts of attempted murder. In addition, he was hit with one count of possession of explosives. Prosecutors are still determining whether to pursue death penalty or not.
A group of people wearing Batman t-shirts flocked to the courtroom to witness the arraignment. Wearing prison uniform, Holmes reportedly appeared expressionless throughout the proceedings, but he said, "yes," when a judge asked him if he understood his rights.
Holmes will next appear before court on August 9. His public defenders are expected to argue that he was not in his right mind when he fired into the occupied crowd watching the superhero movie inside the Century 16 Theater at the Aurora Town Center Mall.
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake