Video: Paul McCartney Closes Olympics Opening Ceremony
The opening ceremony of the Olympics was held in London on July 27, Friday. One of the many famous performers who took the stage at the event was Paul McCartney. The former Fab Four sang two songs.
The 70-year-old rock star performed "The End", a song he penned with bandmate John Lennon in 1969. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make," Mecca sang to the crowd.
He then started playing "Hey Jude" on the piano and led the entire stadium in a massive sing-along. He guided "the fellas" and "the women, the girls" to sing separate parts of the chorus. The melodic communal moment ended the show.
Other performers at the "Isle of Wonder" included Arctic Monkeys. They played their own song, "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor", as well as a cover of The Beatles' classic "Come Together".
Two Door Cinema Club's frontman Alex Trimble made a surprise appearance singing "Caliban's Dream" written specifically for the event, as young athletes carried the Olympic Flame around the stadium. "I'm really proud of the performance. I have so much respect for the team that put it all together," he said of the program.
Filmmaker Danny Boyle served as the artistic director of the opening ceremony. "The Ceremony is an attempt to capture a picture of ourselves as a nation, where we have come from and where we want to be," he said of the historic event.
Daniel Craig also appeared during the ceremony as James Bond along with Queen Elizabeth II. Other guests were David Beckham and Rowan Atkinson.
A soundtrack for the event titled "Isles of Wonder: Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games" is made available for download after midnight on Saturday, July 28.
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season