Video: Paul McCartney Closes Olympics Opening Ceremony
The opening ceremony of the Olympics was held in London on July 27, Friday. One of the many famous performers who took the stage at the event was Paul McCartney. The former Fab Four sang two songs.
The 70-year-old rock star performed "The End", a song he penned with bandmate John Lennon in 1969. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make," Mecca sang to the crowd.
He then started playing "Hey Jude" on the piano and led the entire stadium in a massive sing-along. He guided "the fellas" and "the women, the girls" to sing separate parts of the chorus. The melodic communal moment ended the show.
Other performers at the "Isle of Wonder" included Arctic Monkeys. They played their own song, "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor", as well as a cover of The Beatles' classic "Come Together".
Two Door Cinema Club's frontman Alex Trimble made a surprise appearance singing "Caliban's Dream" written specifically for the event, as young athletes carried the Olympic Flame around the stadium. "I'm really proud of the performance. I have so much respect for the team that put it all together," he said of the program.
Filmmaker Danny Boyle served as the artistic director of the opening ceremony. "The Ceremony is an attempt to capture a picture of ourselves as a nation, where we have come from and where we want to be," he said of the historic event.
Daniel Craig also appeared during the ceremony as James Bond along with Queen Elizabeth II. Other guests were David Beckham and Rowan Atkinson.
A soundtrack for the event titled "Isles of Wonder: Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games" is made available for download after midnight on Saturday, July 28.
More Paul McCartney News
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory