Olympic Games 2012 Opening Ceremony: James Bond, Lord Voldemort and Mr. Bean
The 2012 London Olympic Games was officially kicked off in an extravagant ceremony dubbed "The Isles of Wonder" on July 27. A number of spectacular scenes highlighting the country's most-famous fictional figures were shown during the star-studded event orchestrated by Oscar-winning filmmaker Danny Boyle.
Daniel Craig appeared in a short movie as the famed James Bond. He escorted Queen Elizabeth II in a Union Jack chopper from Buckingham Palace to the Hyde Park where the ceremony took place. In a royal arrival unlike any others, a stunt-person dressing as the Queen jumped off the helicopter in a parachute.
In another scene, a huge Lord Voldemort-like figure was looming over the crowd with a wand in his hand ready to cast a spell. Another surreal set was when a bunch of women in black dresses, full skirts and carpetbags descended from the sky using an umbrella each, giving an illusion of raining Mary Poppins.
Mr. Bean made his appearance, playing a keyboard in a "Chariots of Fire" scene. Wearing the signature Bean silly facial expressions, Rowan Atkinson showed a much faster way to get to the finish line but failed to anticipate his clumsiness. Aside from those popular fictional characters, there was real-life football hero David Beckham making a grand entrance with a speed boat.
For music fans, Arctic Monkeys catered the crowd with a live rendition of The Beatles' classic "Come Together" which was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. At the end of the ceremony, the Fab Four Mecca showed up on stage to deliver another hit single from his former band, "Hey Jude".
More Daniel Craig News
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' Shows 'Farewell Tour' in First Trailer
- Erin Andrews and Jarret Stoll Get Married in Sunset Ceremony
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London