Murderer of Jennifer Hudson's Family Gets 3 Life Sentences in Prison
William Balfour, who murdered three of actress Jennifer Hudson's family members, was given three consecutive life sentences in prison. Judge Charles Burns who oversaw the trial said William's "soul is as barren as dark space."
William, the estranged husband of Jennifer's elder sister Julia, killed her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew in October 2008. Jennifer attended the trial on Tuesday, July 24, dabbing her eyes several times and smiling in disbelief as William's past crimes were read out in court.
Jennifer was also the first witness to be called for testimony. She said she has known William since growing up in Englewood neighborhood and had once begged her sister not to marry him. Earlier in court, William made a statement to the victims' family members, "My condolences go out to the family. My deepest sympathies go to Julian King. I loved him. I still love him."
Burns addressed his statement later, saying "The fact that you can stand in court and tell us you love that child is an insult to all of us. There's no doubt in my mind he looked up to you as you were putting bullets into his head. I just hope his terror was short-lived." He also gave William additional 120 years behind bars of home invasion and residential burglary.
More Jennifer Hudson News
- Laura Prepon Expecting First Child With Ben Foster
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger