Minions of 'Despicable Me' Will Get Their Own Standalone Film
The adorable Minions in the "Despicable Me" film franchise are getting their own big screen treatment. Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment have planned a spin-off movie for the cute yellow creatures, Deadline reports.
The Minions standalone film project is still untitled, but it is said that it will introduce some new characters in addition to featuring the ones that were already featured in the original "Despicable Me". The story will focus on the little creatures' interaction with human characters.
Universal and Illumination have hired Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda as the directors, as well as Brian Lynch as the screenwriter. Coffin himself was the man behind the lens in "Despicable Me" who also returns to helm its sequel "Despicable Me 2" alongside Chris Renaud.
The untitled Despicable Me spinoff is adjusting to the "Despicable Me" sequel's schedule so that it can be released a year apart. The sequel itself is projected to come out in the U.S. on July 3, 2013 with Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig and Al Pacino lining up in the voice cast ensemble.
Universal seems to follow the footsteps of DreamWorks Animation which plans to give a big screen treatment for the scheming penguin quartet in the "Madagascar" film franchise. Before hitting the big screen through their own feature, the iconic penguins already had their own TV series on Nickelodeon called "The Penguins of Madagascar".
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival