Minions of 'Despicable Me' Will Get Their Own Standalone Film
The adorable Minions in the "Despicable Me" film franchise are getting their own big screen treatment. Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment have planned a spin-off movie for the cute yellow creatures, Deadline reports.
The Minions standalone film project is still untitled, but it is said that it will introduce some new characters in addition to featuring the ones that were already featured in the original "Despicable Me". The story will focus on the little creatures' interaction with human characters.
Universal and Illumination have hired Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda as the directors, as well as Brian Lynch as the screenwriter. Coffin himself was the man behind the lens in "Despicable Me" who also returns to helm its sequel "Despicable Me 2" alongside Chris Renaud.
The untitled Despicable Me spinoff is adjusting to the "Despicable Me" sequel's schedule so that it can be released a year apart. The sequel itself is projected to come out in the U.S. on July 3, 2013 with Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig and Al Pacino lining up in the voice cast ensemble.
Universal seems to follow the footsteps of DreamWorks Animation which plans to give a big screen treatment for the scheming penguin quartet in the "Madagascar" film franchise. Before hitting the big screen through their own feature, the iconic penguins already had their own TV series on Nickelodeon called "The Penguins of Madagascar".
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March