Peter Jackson Claims He'll Never Direct a Superhero Movie
Despite the fact that superhero films have become a trend lately, there's at least one director who refused to jump into the genre. He was none other than Peter Jackson, who claimed that he's not a fan of superhero stories.
"I've never actually read a comic in my life," the Oscar winner said, as quoted by The Daily Journal. "That's a lie. I did read 'The Walking Dead' in the last year or two, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But I've never read a superhero comic. I've literally never turned a single page of a single superhero comic."
Jackson, who helmed critically acclaimed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, explained that he'd rather work on small-budgeted movies than superhero flicks. "Variety is the thing, isn't it? It would be a shame if cinema was just superheroes and nothing else," he stated. "So the real problem is the lack of those mid-budget films."
Though declining to direct a superhero movie, the "King Kong" director once teamed up with Steven Spielberg to make a comic book-adapted movie, "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn". Despite the success, the New Zealand native admitted that he and Spielberg still haven't decided what to do with the franchise after the upcoming "Tintin 2".
"We have talked about us co-directing at some stage, but we have talked about the idea of bringing in a third filmmaker," so Jackson said. "But then, we've said, 'You know what? If we're having so much fun, it's something we might just want to keep on doing ourselves.' So we certainly haven't put our minds quite into a third film yet."
Jackson's latest directorial stint, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", will hit theaters across the U.S. on December 14. Its follow up, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again", is skedded to open nationwide a year later on December 13.
- Cara Delevingne Nearly Topless in Ripped Top for Puma Campaign
- See Tom Brady Sunbathing Completely Naked During Vacation With Gisele Bundchen
- Everyone Is Excited to Meet Superman in New 'Supergirl' Season 2 Sneak Peeks
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch
- The Internet Mocks Donald Trump for Sniffling and Drinking a Lot During Presidential Debate
- Listen to DNCE's New Single 'Body Moves'
- New 'Luke Cage' Trailer Reveals Surprise Cameos
- Jessica Simpson's Marriage in Trouble? She and Husband Reportedly 'Fighting Non-Stop' for Months