Artist of the Week: Frank Ocean
Coming out of the closet was not the only headline-grabbing issue involving Frank Ocean lately. Despite shocking the world with his confession about his sexual preference, the "Novacane" hitmaker proved he still has his fans' support as his debut studio album "Channel Orange" performed well on various charts.
After released digitally on July 10, the record that boasts such hits as "Thinkin Bout You", "Pyramids" and "Sweet Life" bowed at No. 2 on Billboard 200 in its first week. On the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, the set that follows up his 2011 critically acclaimed mixtape "Nostalgia, Ultra" even reached the peak position.
Prior to releasing the chart-topping album, Ocean went through a hard road as he had to move to Los Angeles from his hometown of New Orleans when it was hit by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It was during this period that he got a songwriting deal, which led him to write songs for such A-list artists as Brandy, Justin Bieber and John Legend.
Though he felt comfortable with his job at that time, the 24-year-old star was determined to reach his ultimate goal to be a recording artist and later joined hip hop collective Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All. Through his relationship with Tricky Stewart, he nabbed a contract as a solo artist with Def Jam Recordings, under which he released "Nostalgia, Ultra".
After stealing people's attention with his mixtape, the California-born rapper continued writing songs for other artists, including Watch the Throne duo, Kanye West and Jay-Z, while preparing his debut studio installment. Currently promoting "Channel Orange", he's also slated to perform alongside Coldplay on several dates of their European tour this summer.
More Frank Ocean News
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest