Artist of the Week: Frank Ocean
Coming out of the closet was not the only headline-grabbing issue involving Frank Ocean lately. Despite shocking the world with his confession about his sexual preference, the "Novacane" hitmaker proved he still has his fans' support as his debut studio album "Channel Orange" performed well on various charts.
After released digitally on July 10, the record that boasts such hits as "Thinkin Bout You", "Pyramids" and "Sweet Life" bowed at No. 2 on Billboard 200 in its first week. On the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, the set that follows up his 2011 critically acclaimed mixtape "Nostalgia, Ultra" even reached the peak position.
Prior to releasing the chart-topping album, Ocean went through a hard road as he had to move to Los Angeles from his hometown of New Orleans when it was hit by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It was during this period that he got a songwriting deal, which led him to write songs for such A-list artists as Brandy, Justin Bieber and John Legend.
Though he felt comfortable with his job at that time, the 24-year-old star was determined to reach his ultimate goal to be a recording artist and later joined hip hop collective Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All. Through his relationship with Tricky Stewart, he nabbed a contract as a solo artist with Def Jam Recordings, under which he released "Nostalgia, Ultra".
After stealing people's attention with his mixtape, the California-born rapper continued writing songs for other artists, including Watch the Throne duo, Kanye West and Jay-Z, while preparing his debut studio installment. Currently promoting "Channel Orange", he's also slated to perform alongside Coldplay on several dates of their European tour this summer.
More Frank Ocean News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group