Christian Bale on Colorado Shooting: 'Words Cannot Express the Horror'
"The Dark Knight Rises" star Christian Bale has released a statement on the Aurora, Colorado shooting. A gunman opened fire during a midnight screening of the movie on Friday, July 20, killing 12 and injuring at least 38 moviegoers.
"Words cannot express the horror that I feel," Bale said. "I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them." The actor and his co-stars were forced to return home when the red carpet premiere of the movie in Paris, France was canceled following the incident.
Director Christopher Nolan also expressed his thoughts on the shooting. "Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of 'The Dark Knight Rises', I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community," he said. "I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie."
"I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime," Nolan continued. "The movie theater is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."
- Oscars 2017: Mahershala Ali, 'Suicide Squad' and 'Fantastic Beasts' Are First Winners
- Report: Britney Spears Is Expecting a Child With Sam Asghari
- New 'Iron Fist' Photos Show Danny Rand in Action, Actor Responds to White-Washing Controversy
- Report: Blac Chyna Is Pregnant With Rob Kardashian's Second Baby
- Future Scores Fourth No. 1 Album With 'Future' on Billboard 200
- Oscars 2017: Felicity Jones, Taraji P. Henson, Chrissy Teigen Stun on Red Carpet
- Selena Gomez Sweetly Calls The Weeknd 'Baby' on Instagram
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24