Prosecutors Consider to Charge Paparazzi in Justin Bieber Car Chase
A paparazzo, who pursued Justin Bieber when the star was cited for speeding on L.A.'s 101 freeway, may face a criminal charge. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has completed investigation in the case and reportedly recommended that the photographer is prosecuted for misdemeanor.
The CHP has sent the file to the L.A. City Attorney, who will determine whether charges should be filed. Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the city attorney, states, "Our prosecutors are taking a look at what's been filed by the CHP." He also confirms that the city attorney's office is considering charging a single paparazzo, but doesn't mention the name of the said person.
California indeed has a law that prohibits someone from driving recklessly while attempting to take a photo. Should the charge be filed, it will be the fist time anyone is prosecuted under the 2010 law. If convicted, the paparazzo could ace a maximum six-month jail sentence.
Bieber was pulled over by cops when driving his hybrid Fisker Karma in excess of 65 mph on July 6. He was described as being polite and cooperative when the police officers stopped him and was released after being issued a ticket for speeding.
The "Boyfriend" singer later filed a harassment complaint against one of the paparazzi who chased him on the freeway, claiming the photographer was endangering many lives by persistently pursuing his car.
More Justin Bieber News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media