Prosecutors Consider to Charge Paparazzi in Justin Bieber Car Chase
A paparazzo, who pursued Justin Bieber when the star was cited for speeding on L.A.'s 101 freeway, may face a criminal charge. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has completed investigation in the case and reportedly recommended that the photographer is prosecuted for misdemeanor.
The CHP has sent the file to the L.A. City Attorney, who will determine whether charges should be filed. Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the city attorney, states, "Our prosecutors are taking a look at what's been filed by the CHP." He also confirms that the city attorney's office is considering charging a single paparazzo, but doesn't mention the name of the said person.
California indeed has a law that prohibits someone from driving recklessly while attempting to take a photo. Should the charge be filed, it will be the fist time anyone is prosecuted under the 2010 law. If convicted, the paparazzo could ace a maximum six-month jail sentence.
Bieber was pulled over by cops when driving his hybrid Fisker Karma in excess of 65 mph on July 6. He was described as being polite and cooperative when the police officers stopped him and was released after being issued a ticket for speeding.
The "Boyfriend" singer later filed a harassment complaint against one of the paparazzi who chased him on the freeway, claiming the photographer was endangering many lives by persistently pursuing his car.
More Justin Bieber News
- Caitlyn Jenner Defends Daughter Kendall After the Infamous Pepsi Ad Debacle
- Ben Affleck 'Enjoys Being Single' After Divorcing Jennifer Garner
- Cashmere Cat Previews New Single 'Quit' Ft. Ariana Grande
- 'Scream' Season 3 to Get Makeover With New Cast and Location
- Drake Throws Shade at Jennifer Lopez While Staying at the Same Resort Shortly After Her Visit
- Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien Joke About Ivanka Trump Getting Booed in Germany
- Ewan McGregor Is in Talks to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'
- Khloe Kardashian Hit With Lawsuit for Sharing Unlicensed Photo of Herself on Instagram