BEP and Gotye Set Records with Platinum Singles
The Black Eyed Peas make their mark as the first group to ever have a digital single go eight times Platinum with their party anthem, "I Gotta Feeling". BEP have sold more digital singles than any other groups with their sales totaling at 22 million.
On a similar note, Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" has become the fastest digital song to go five times Platinum after having sold 5 million downloads in less than six months since its release.
Rapper Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" has been certified Platinum as well, marking the second time the female rapper got the plaque. Over on the country spectrum, Carrie Underwood receives her fourth gold, this time for "Blown Away".
"Whitney Houston: The Greatest Hits" from the late diva Whitney Houston is now five times Platinum after selling 5 million units. This brings her U.S. album count past 57 million making her the 19th biggest selling act of all time in the country.
There are also some first timers in the Platinum album club. Florence and the Machine receive Platinum status for 2009's "Lungs" and Eric Church gets his first Platinum for his 2011 release, "Chief." Church's single "Springsteen" is granted Platinum certification as well.
In total, the RIAA certified 61 digital singles and 12 albums as Gold or Platinum in June. A complete list may be viewed on RIAA's Facebook page
- Calvin Harris Announces New Single Featuring Pharrell, Ariana Grande and Young Thug
- New Boyfriend? Ellie Goulding Spotted Getting Cozy With Athlete Caspar Jopling
- 'The Flash' 3.19 Preview: Meet Future Barry Allen
- Natalie Portman Will Portray Bull Rider in 'Bronco Belle'
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'