Comic-Con 2012: 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' Unleashes Fantastical First Trailer
As promised, Walt Disney Pictures has unveiled "a special look at the world of 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' " during its panel on Day 1 of the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con. The first ever trailer for the adventure movie is studded with fantastical scenes and offers a first look at Michelle Williams' Glinda and Rachel Weisz's Evanora.
A better look at the background of James Franco's titular character as well as his first encounter with Mila Kunis' Theodora is also shown in the footage. However, some iconic items and creatures, such as ruby slippers, Cowardly Lion and Tin Man, from the original "The Wizard of Oz" movie are not included in the sneak peek.
"Those characters are not part of this picture because this takes place before 'The Wizard of Oz' book or movie took place, before Dorothy got there," director Sam Raimi explained. "By the time our picture ends, the audience has one interpretation of how it all come to be."
In addition to Raimi, the "Oz" presentation was attended by Kunis and Williams. Kunis took time to discuss her character Theodora, saying, "She's the first character Oz encounters when he gets to the land [of Oz], and she's just incredibly sweet, incredibly naive, and just so believes that he is the wizard."
Williams added that her character Glinda eventually was the only one who stood on Oz's side. "She's the only one who continually sees the best in Oz, even when his selfish nature makes that very difficult," the Oscar-nominated actress said.
"Oz: The Great and Poweful" is designed as a prequel to the iconic 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz". When Oscar Diggs, a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he's hit the jackpot-fame and fortune.
That only lasts until he meets three witches, Theodora, Evanora and Glinda, who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone's been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late.
Disney will unleash the film in cinemas across the U.S. on March 8, 2013.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'