Karl Urban Allegedly Reveals 'Star Trek' Sequel's Villain
Has the principal villain in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" sequel been revealed? As director Abrams remains tight-lipped about whom Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in the highly anticipated movie, Karl Urban has reportedly unveiled the identity of the villainous character.
During a recent promotional junket for "Dredd" in London, Urban let slip that [SPOILER ALERT!] Cumberbatch plays Gary Mitchell in the sequel. When asked by SFX what it was like to work with the "War Horse" actor, Urban spilled, "He's awesome, he's a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary."
If what Urban said was true, previous rumors suggesting that Khan was the major bad guy in "Star Trek 2" would be debunked. For those who are unfamiliar with Mitchell, the character first appeared in original series episode, "Where No Man Has Gone Before". An academy acquaintance of Kirk, Mitchell later transformed into a wrathful God-like antagonist after encountering the galactic barrier.
The untitled Star Trek sequel is slated for a May 17, 2013 release in the United States. In addition to Urban, the sci-fi movie would bring back Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg and John Cho as Spock, Uhura, James T. Kirk, Pavel, Scotty and Hikaru Sulu respectively.
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'
- Spider-Man May Leave Marvel Cinematic Universe After 'Spiderman: Homecoming' Sequel
- Harry Styles to Make Debut as Solo Artist on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman Reunite for NBC's Competition Series 'Handmade Project'
- Mila Kunis Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body, 4 Months After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri