'Fifty Shades of Grey' Film Hires 'Social Network' Producers
Though it still hasn't cast any actors to play Ana and Christian, "Fifty Shades of Grey" has found a pair who will serve as its producers. On Monday, July 9, Universal Pictures and Focus Features announced that "The Social Network" producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti have won the bidding war to produce the much-talked-about movie.
Both De Luca and Brunetti, who also produced another Oscar-nominated pic "Moneyball", were hand chosen by author E.L. James herself. A number of notable producers have previously approached the project including Brian Grazer's Imagine Entertainment.
Of hiring the acclaimed producer duo, Universal's Co-Chairman Donna Langley said, "At its core, 'Fifty Shades of Grey' is a complex love story, requiring a delicate and sophisticated hand to bring it to the big screen. Mike and Dana's credits more than exemplify what we need in creative partners and we're glad to have them as part of our team."
"Michael De Luca is a dream producer, whose combination of vision, taste and fearlessness is the perfect match for Fifty Shades of Grey," Focus' Chief Executive Officer James Schamus added. Author James, meanwhile, gushed, "I am thrilled that Mike has joined Team Fifty. He brings a passion for and in-depth understanding of the characters and story, and a wealth of experience in making quality films."
De Luca himself had nothing but good words about his and Brunetti's hiring in the high-profile gig. "Dana and I are both grateful and honored to be invited to join this team," he said. "We deeply respect and admire the kinds of films Donna, James and Jeb have been responsible for and are very excited to be joining Erika in a collaboration to bring her vision of this once in a lifetime, provocative and resonant love story to the screen."
"Fifty Shades of Grey", which is included in the New York Times bestseller list, centers on a 21-year-old college student Anastasia, who has an S&M relationship with a wealthy entrepreneur named Christian. Their relationship deepens in the book's sequels, "Fifty Shades Darker" and "Fifty Shades Freed".
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy