'The Amazing Spider-Man' Opens Strong as Box Office Champion
As predicted by most observers, "The Amazing Spider-Man" successfully opens as the new champion on North American box office. The superhero movie, which was released last Tuesday, July 3, collects $62 million on its debut weekend and a solid $140 million on its first six days.
Still, the Andrew Garfield-starring movie opens softer than the six-day result of Sam Raimi's three Spidey movies. "Spider-Man" took in $144.1 million in 2002, "Spider-Man 2" grabbed $180.1 million in 2004, while "Spider-Man 3" collected $176.2 million in 2007.
Last week's chart-topper "Ted" drops to the second spot with $32.2 million this weekend. The Mark Wahlberg and Seth MacFarlane-starring raunchy comedy earns a total domestic cume of $120.2 after two weeks of playing in the U.S. cinemas. "Brave", meanwhile, secures the third place by adding $19.6 million for a total domestic cume of $174.5 million on its third weekend.
Landing on the fourth place is Oliver Stone's violent thriller "Savages" with $16 million on its first weekend. The result is quite satisfying since Universal Pictures expected the R-rated film to gross around $10 million on its opening weekend. The film also marks Taylor Kitsch's relatively most successful debut this year compared to "John Carter" and "Battleship".
Rounding up the top five is "Magic Mike", which adds $15.6 million for a total cume of $72,7 after two weeks of playing nationwide. On the other hand, Katy Perry's concert documentary movie "Katy Perry: Part of Me" has a weak opening as it places eighth with $7.1 million. The 3D film can't beat "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" which opened to $29.5 million on its first weekend in 2011.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for July 6- 8:
- "The Amazing Spider-Man" - $62 million
- "Ted" - $32.2 million
- "Brave" - $19.6 million
- "Savages" - $16 million
- "Magic Mike" - $15.6 million
- "Madea's Witness Protection" - $10.1 million
- "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" - $7.5 million
- "Katy Perry: Part of Me" - $7.1 million
- "Moonrise Kingdom" - $4.5 million
- "To Rome with Love" - $3.1 million
More The Amazing Spider-Man News
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'