Adele and Gotye Top SoundScan's Mid-Year Sales Charts
The end of June means that half of the year is over. At this point, the biggest-selling album is Adele's "21", while the biggest-selling song is Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" featuring Kimbra. The CD has sold 3.69 million, while the single has scanned 5.50 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Adele's album also achieved the same feat of being the top-selling record halfway through 2011. It eventually became the biggest-selling album of last year. Should "21" become this year's biggest selling album, it will be the first time a record tops SoundScan's year-end charts for two years in a row.
"21" was found to have been the only album to sell more than one million copies by the halfway point of SoundScan's tracking year. The album that follows "21" is Lionel Richie's "Tuskegee" which sold 912,000 units. This is the first time that only one album reached the one million mark by half the year.
Adele's 2008 album, "19", also made the top 20, sitting at tenth place for selling 539,000 copies this year. This is the first time in two years that two records from the same artist have made the top 20. On the other hand, Gotye's album "Making Mirrors", where "Somebody That I Used to Know" is listed, has sold 538,000 copies. The album is currently at 11th place in the sales charts.
Only two of the songs in the top 20 biggest-selling digital songs sold more than five million copies. The other one is Fun.'s "We Are Young" which is placed second for having sold 5.09 million.
More Adele News
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 'Never Wanted Sex' Prior to Their Split
- Kim Kardashian's Paris Robbery Crime Scene Photos Emerge
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Were Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle