MGM Sues 'Raging Bull II' Producers, Wants the Film to Stop Production
Martin Guigui's "Raging Bull II" has been struck with legal issue. On Tuesday, July 3, MGM has decided to file a lawsuit against the upcoming film's producers as well as former boxer Jake LaMotta, whose real-life story was adapted into Martin Scorsese's 1980 iconic movie "Raging Bull".
Deadline reported that MGM filed its 7-page complaint, claiming breach of contract and four other counts. The studio wanted the court to halt the production of Guigui's movie which is currently shooting in Los Angeles. The company also wanted to "make sure the indie movie never sees the light of day."
In its papers, MGM stated that LaMotta had no right to allow "RB II" producers the rights to his 1986 sequel book without first offering it to MGM. The studio was also not happy because the producers of "Raging Bull II" were "publicly associating the Sequel Picture" with the original Scorsese-directed movie.
The studio accused the producers of "plainly intended to create confusion in the marketplace and to trade off the value" of the 1980 Oscar-nominated film. The action would "irreparably tarnish the value of the Picture and MGM's rights therein."
In the case, MGM asked for compensatory damages as well as punitive and exemplary damages in addition to getting "awarded in an amount sufficient to punish RB II defendants and to deter those who would commit or knowingly seek to profit from similar actions, now or in the future."
Scorsese and original "Raging Bull" star Robert De Niro were not related to "Raging Bull II". The new version stars William Forsythe as LaMotta, and is also supported by Joe Mantegna, Paul Sorvino and Natasha Henstridge.
"Raging Bull II" would provide this much desired insight into the real-life struggle of a down-and-out pugilist Jake LaMotta, who turned his anger and abusive childhood into a boxing career. Although his brute force turned him into a middleweight champion, it also created challenges in his life.
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung