Kathy Griffin: Anderson Cooper Needs to Be Careful After Coming Out
While applauding her friend Anderson Cooper, Kathy Griffin offered words of advice to him. The TV personality said the Silver Fox, who often travels to dangerous places around the world to cover news, needed to be careful now that he has come out of the closet publicly. She explained why in a letter to the Daily Beast.
"The reality is that despite the very real, the very necessary, and the very life-changing progress we have made in this country in treating people across the sexual orientation spectrum with dignity and respect, America - the world - is not fully represented by Chelsea in New York City," she said.
"Many of my young gays don't know about Uganda's 'Kill the Gays' initiative, which was developed with the help of some extremist American evangelicals," she continued. "They don't know that in large portions of Baghdad, honest LGBT folks are hunted and summarily executed by roving bands of so-called morality police."
"What many young people do know is what they read in short bursts on celebrity Twitter posts or on TMZ. And what they read and see is how freeing being honest can be. What they don't see is that it remains, in many places, very dangerous to do just that. And that dichotomy is deeply troubling to me."
She concludes, "I love my friend Anderson and remain immensely proud of him. And I'm honored, truly, that he considers me a friend. But I just want him to be careful. Of course he wouldn't be doing his job if he really were being careful. And he wouldn't be who he is."
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes