Kathy Griffin: Anderson Cooper Needs to Be Careful After Coming Out
While applauding her friend Anderson Cooper, Kathy Griffin offered words of advice to him. The TV personality said the Silver Fox, who often travels to dangerous places around the world to cover news, needed to be careful now that he has come out of the closet publicly. She explained why in a letter to the Daily Beast.
"The reality is that despite the very real, the very necessary, and the very life-changing progress we have made in this country in treating people across the sexual orientation spectrum with dignity and respect, America - the world - is not fully represented by Chelsea in New York City," she said.
"Many of my young gays don't know about Uganda's 'Kill the Gays' initiative, which was developed with the help of some extremist American evangelicals," she continued. "They don't know that in large portions of Baghdad, honest LGBT folks are hunted and summarily executed by roving bands of so-called morality police."
"What many young people do know is what they read in short bursts on celebrity Twitter posts or on TMZ. And what they read and see is how freeing being honest can be. What they don't see is that it remains, in many places, very dangerous to do just that. And that dichotomy is deeply troubling to me."
She concludes, "I love my friend Anderson and remain immensely proud of him. And I'm honored, truly, that he considers me a friend. But I just want him to be careful. Of course he wouldn't be doing his job if he really were being careful. And he wouldn't be who he is."
- Stephen Colbert to Host 2017 Emmy Awards
- Justin Bieber Shaves His Head Again - Is It Because of Selena Gomez?
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies