'Ted' and 'Magic Mike' Storm Box Office With Massive Results for R-Rated Comedies
Seth MacFarlane and Mark Wahlberg's raunchy comedy "Ted" has a successful opening on the North American box office. The adult movie debuts on the top spot with $54.4 million, which is the best opening ever for an original R-rated comedy title.
With the massive result, "Ted" also beat "The Hangover" which debuted to $45 million in 2009 as the top opening of all time for a non-sequel comedy movie. Receiving an "A-" CinemaScore, the film which also stars Mila Kunis appeals to 56% male moviegoers and 48% audience under the age of 30.
Commenting on the successful opening, Universal Pictures president of domestic distribution Nikki Rocco says, "I also want to pay tribute to the incredible marketing campaign that began generating interest [for 'Ted'] from a very early stage."
Another adult comedy movie which scores a big success this week is "Magic Mike". Though it fails to claim the champion title, the Channing Tatum-starring male stripper film shows a satisfying result by grossing $39.1 million on its debut weekend. Along with "Ted", the Steven Soderbergh-directed film marks the first time ever two R-rated comedy films gross more than $20 million on the same opening weekend.
Earning a "B" CinemaScore, "Magic Mike" attracts to mostly female moviegoers who make up 73% of the ticket buyers. Around 43% of them are over the age of 35. "This is a win-win for all of us, and Steven Soderbergh hit it out of the park," says Warner Bros. Pictures president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman.
Last week's champion, "Brave" falls to the third place with $34 million. Dropping 48.7% from last week, the Pixar animated movie collects a total domestic cume of $131.6 million after two weeks of playing in cinemas across the United States.
Landing on the fourth spot is newcomer "Madea's Witness Protection" with $25.3 million. Receiving an "A-" CinemaScore, the film marks the fourth-highest opening for a Tyler Perry-starring movie. Meanwhile, rounding up the top five is "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" which adds $11.8 million to a total domestic cume of $180 million after four weeks of playing nationwide.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 29- Jult 1:
- "Ted" - $54.4 million
- "Magic Mike" - $39.1 million
- "Brave" - $34 million
- "Madea's Witness Protection" - $25.3 million
- "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" - $11.8 million
- "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" - $6 million
- "Prometheus" - $4.9 million
- "Moonrise Kingdom" - $4.9 million
- "Snow White and the Huntsman" - $4.4 million
- "The Avengers" - $4.4 million
More Ted News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris