David Beckham Releases Statement on GB Team Exclusion
David Beckham will not be seen fighting for England at the upcoming Olympics. The 37-year-old soccer star failed to make the Great Britain dream team for the summer games that start next month in London.
"Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me," he said in a statement. "I would have been honored to have been part of this unique Team GB squad. Like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold."
He reportedly received the bad news on late Wednesday, June 27 from coach Stuart Pearce. The team only allows three men over the age of 23 and the chosen ones are Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy, and Micah Richards.
Beckham had been hoping to become the team's captain. He was the ambassador of England and was part of the Olympic flame handover ceremony in May. "As a Londoner, I will have been really proud to have played a small part in bringing the Olympics to my home town as part of [Sebastian Coe's] team, and I can't wait for the games to begin and enjoy every moment along with the rest of Great Britain," he said at that time.
More David Beckham News
- Rob Kardashian Reveals He Is Now Diabetes Free
- Britney Spears Recalls Being on 'Awkward' Dates, Says 'Being Famous Doesn't Make You Any Different'
- Taylor Swift Makes Donation to Hospital That Saved Her Godson
- Daniel Radcliffe Eyed for 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami